Sunday, September 6, 2015

Custom Paint Projects RS-3 and NW2

The NYC pooled Alco power on the Line East with heavy servicing out of DeWitt in Syracuse.  As a result the Pennsylvania Division was almost exclusively handled by Alco motive power.   I also happen to be preferential as a modeler to Alco's and my roster represents my "enthusiasm" for all things Alco.

With that, I am working on three, Alco RS-3 models, all painted with the Cigar Band scheme to represent NYC motive power between 1960 and 1965, prior to the renumbering of motive power in 1966.   I have finished the first unit, NYC #8246.   To follow will be NYC # 8293 and # 8313.


Starting in 1948, the New York Central purchased a 1000 HP Switcher from EMD, known as the NW2.  These units were classed as DES-13a through DES-13k. Most of these units were painted for the Indiana Harbor Belt subsidiary of the NYC and, as most EMD units, the vast majority saw service on the Lines West of Buffalo.  However, Broadway Limited Models makes a very nice NW2 fully equipped with sound and so I was able to finish a custom paint of NYC #8805.




No comments:

Post a Comment